The City Councillors of Culture and Tourism of Vandellòs Town Hall and the Hospitalet de l'Infant have organised several guided visits to the heritage this summer.
The Clotxa of the Terres de Mestral
Early in the morning, at home, a slice of bread with chocolate was eaten and went to the field to work. About ten o'clock, after about three hours of work, people "clotxa" prepared. A charcoal fire where vegetables that were carried in the basket or collected directly in the field (usually tomato branch, dried onion and garlic) and salted herring (or salted sardines) roasting were made. A loaf of chyle that were in the bag also started the crumb emptied and roasted in the coals. quilo bread it filled with bare ingredients and wet I flaked and all with a splash of extra virgin olive oil.
The "clotxa" is, in this case, a singular, authentic development, which represents a territory and all the conditions and characteristics that define it. By history, authenticity, for health, for the graphic strength of its shape, its uniqueness and also the adaptability of its format, "clotxa" is an icon of the "Terres de Mestral" and as such acts as prescribers and He talks about people and traditions that define it.
PHOTOS: Rafael López-Monné
As inevitably happens with large traditional recipes, there is a way to make every house and in every town and therefore it is impossible to speak of a single "clotxa", the truth, the most orthodox, yet presented below which it can "clotxa" be the standard, the "clotxa" consensus. It must be said that some people add sausage, bacon, olives, peppers, tuna ... versions are endless!
- Half a loaf half kilo round
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 herring
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Roast the garlic and onions: You can also roast the entire head of garlic grilled or if you do not have to put in the oven between 180 and 200ªC for about 20 'or 30', until garlic is tender. Peel the garlic and set aside whole. Onion, as in the previous case, whether grilled, or grilling, otherwise, wrap the whole onion with aluminum foil, put in the oven at the same temperature as the garlic for about 45 'or until the onion is soft and cooked. Peel and cut into wide slices.
- Roast the tomatoes: If you have grilled done, you can do grilled but it put the whole ripe tomatoes in the oven at the same above temperature for about 30 'or until toasted.
- Toasting grilled herring, but on a grill or skillet, check herring on both sides until toasted. With the tip of a knife remove the scale. Then remove the head and guts and separate the fillets, cut into wide pieces. If you want the herring is not as strong flavor, between 24h and 48h leave with water, dry properly and follow the cooking process and obtaining meat as has been said. The result will be a herring fillets taste milder and less salty.
- Breaking bread in half, emptying crumbs, toast from the side of the pier, also basking inside the hole.
- Peel the garlic, onions and tomatoes. Peel herring fillet and shred the meat.
- Put the peeled tomatoes in the bottom of the pan, moisten with extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the garlic and onion into pieces and also shredded herring. Wet finish with extra virgin olive oil.
Eating with the help of the same crumb and crust of bread that will be breaking as the rest is consumed.